Antique french regence fireplace
Antique French Regence fireplace : This historic fireplace in the « Régence » style is presumed from that early 18th century era (in theory from 1715 to 1723). It is carved in French limestone with a splendid scallop shell (Coquille Saint-Jacques), the symbol of Christian pilgrimage (to Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle) and the symbol of love (see The Birth of Venus by Botticelli).
Although it has been cleaned there are vestiges of encrusted lime-wash on the chimney piece in the corners of some carved moulding that show that in its previous life the stonework had been painted over.
Weight approx : 600 kg.
Dimensions approx :
- Overall height = 132 cm (52 inches)
- Overall width = 165 cm (65 inches)
- Front to back = 60 cm (24 inches)
- Width between side jambs = 130 cm (51 inches)
- Height below lintel = 110 cm (43 inches)
- Jamb width = 15 cm (6 inches)
On display at BCA’s Normandy premises at Méry-Corbon.