Pair of antique cast iron Medici vases
Pair of antique cast iron Medici vases: This imposing pair of big Medici-style urns was made in cast iron in the traditional way in a foundry, with their upper form reminiscent of an inverted bell. They feature many decorative Baroque style mouldings such as a lion’s head on each side, which are ready to hold a ring in their jaws (rings not supplied). One of the Medici vases is adorned with acanthus leaves whilst the other is adorned with flowers.
The original Medici vase was in marble, sculpted in Athens in the second half of the 1st century AD as a garden ornament for the Roman market. It is now displayed in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. At 152 centimetres it is taller and more far more lavishly decorative (with the goddess Diana flanked by warrior heroes) than this classic cast iron pair, which each stand at just over 1 metre (3ft 6 inches).
- Overall height : 1070mm (42 inches)
- Pedestal base height: 370mm (14.5 inches)
- Vase height : 700mm (27.5 inches)
- Diametre at the top : 620mm (24.5 inches)
- Diametre mid height : 450mm (18 inches)
- Pedestal base diametre: 500mm (20 inches)